Expert tips: project team survival begins with change management
- Gretchen Steenstra
- October 8, 2014
If you haven’t been through one yourself, let me break the news to you: any system implementation is a change management experience. Your organization better have a culture that’s ready. It starts at the top. According to Teri Carden (ReviewMyAMS.com), the mindset of your association’s executive and senior staff about change will determine the ultimate success of your AMS. So what’s an organization to do?
Embrace the change.
Take advantage of this opportunity to review and improve existing processes. However, be aware of and sensitive to any resistance to change among your colleagues. Don’t stereotype people by their age. Risk aversion knows no age limits, nor does tech aversion.
Sometimes people will come around if you can find a replacement for their “safety blanket” – a report or a process they’re attached to, maybe that membership form they designed 10 years ago. Help them find the next generation of that same form, and you’re likely to ease their discomfort with change.
Make sure the people on the project team don’t think it’s a horrible, overwhelming chore. Break the process down into manageable chunks for those who have to do the work. And don’t forget to celebrate each milestone and make time for fun – a key aspect to any successful organizational change.
I’m not the expert on transformative change, but I’ve helped facilitate many change management experiences in associations, particularly in their adoption of a new AMS. (Even system upgrades can be traumatic to some people – change management to the rescue!) Here’s some further reading to help you understand the impact of change – and to guide your organization through it. Check them out, then give us your feedback or share your own favorite resources in the comments.
- Dr. John Kotter’s 8-Step Process for Leading Change
- The Change Monster: The Human Forces that Fuel or Foil Corporate Transformation and Change
- Managing Change in Organizations: A Practice Guide from the Project Management Institute
- strategy+business 10 Principles of Leading Change Management
Also, from The DelCor Connection blog:
- Is your project doomed? Not if you read this, by Dave Coriale
Finally, be sure to review my other posts in this series:
- Expert tips: how to get your staff ready for a new AMS
- Expert tips: the why and what of AMS selection
- Sneak peek: what you need to know before selecting an AMS
Flickr photo by chintermeyer