Blogger’s Digest: March 2013
- Bill Rowan
- April 1, 2013
It may be April Fools’ Day, but we aren’t joking with you. Instead, we’re taking a look back at our March blog posts.
Gamification has been a hot topic among conference planners and online marketers in the last few years. But real gamers have been behind the pinball levers, joysticks, and keyboards for decades. (In fact, some of them may have never left that position.) Andrew Leggett explores this basement-dwelling crowd as a possible source of cause-related donations.
Sadly, some serious crime events have been in the news recently. Sarah Manwell does her best Veronica Mars impersonation, and takes a look at a lighter crime you might be familiar with: IT muggings.
- How to avoid a technology mugging (March 14, 2013)
The Avectra Users & Developers Conference was held in early March in sunny Orlando, and we were there to learn and play, as usual. In return, we offer reflections on the event from a newcomer and a veteran.
- #AUDC13 – the road to relevance, social media spirit animals, & leis (Kylee Coffman: March 18, 2013)
- A veteran’s view – the how and why of technology at #AUDC13 (Gretchen Steenstra: March 19, 2013)
Finally, Joseph Frey offers some tips for preventing webinar disasters. (Think zombie apocalypse, only virtual.) What can go wrong 5 minutes before your webinar? Find out what happened at one association, and how they recovered.
- Murphy’s law of webinar presentations (March 26, 2013)
Connect with DelCor: April Happenings
Ever-attracted to sunny climes, Diane Stoner and Gretchen Steenstra travel to #TAUG13 – the TMA Resources Annual Users Group Conference – in Phoenix next week. Look for them, and say hi!
To wrap up the month, Loretta M. DeLuca, Brian Sheehan, and Bill Walker will attend ASAE’s Finance, HR & Business Operations Conference(affectionately called FHRBOC, or fur-bock, which we’ve recently learned is also a beer). Look for our “dry” exhibit table!
If you can’t believe it’s already April, revisit a few moments from last month, when Loretta M. DeLuca and Dave Coriale delighted audiences at Great Ideas with their Ignite presentations. These short video clips are just 5 minutes each!
- Our 11th Annual .org Community Food Drive kicks off May 1. In the past 10 years, with the help of associations and partners throughout the DC region, we’ve delivered more than 170,000 meals to the Capital Area Food Bank and the 475,000+ clients they serve. Last year’s collection alone topped 50,000 meals! Will you help us meet the need this year?
DETAILS: This year’s food drive will be virtual – participants can go “shopping” online (or simply make a fixed donation) at our special website to be launched May 1. It’s easy, and doesn’t require lugging bags of food on the Metro. We will also accept cash and check donations, but we will not be collecting food donations this year. The benefit of your donations is multiplied by the food bank’s buying power – every dollar donated equals 3 meals!
DAY OF SERVICE: DelCor has a tradition of giving back to our community, whether through our food drive, volunteer nights, or supporting association research. Without the physical aspect of collecting food, we want to be sure everyone still has an opportunity to contribute in a way that is meaningful to them. If money’s not your thing (or even if it is), participating organizations will have an opportunity to sign up to volunteer at the food bank during our day of service. We’ll help sort and pack food in the food bank’s new facility in northeast DC. Details to come – sign up below to make sure you receive updates.
HOW TO PARTICIPATE: Each participating organization will appoint one internal coordinator to work with our marketing manager, Bill Walker, prior to and during the drive. Bill will help you with ideas, incentives, and support for your efforts. Email Bill before April 24 to express your interest or get your questions answered.
- Clean up on aisle 9! Wait – there are no aisles in our store. Store?! That’s right – now you can get your very own DelCor merch. Family, friends, and fans are all welcome to show your spirit by donning some DelCor gear and gadgets, available 24/7 at shop.delcor.com. Now through April 30, receive 25% off your order, plus a free tote bag, when you use Coupon Code APRIL13. Some items are very popular, so shop early!
- Are you entertained? Get to know DelCor (or just share a laugh with us) in our new company video. It stars several DelCorians – Loretta M. DeLuca, Dave Coriale, Brian Sheehan, Chris Ecker, Kathleen McQuilkin, Tobin Conley, and Peter Just. We think it’s groovy. Do you?